Friday, July 11, 2014

5 ways to stop stealing from yourself


                                                  "Comparison is the thief of joy." -Theodore Roosevelt
         

Comparison is actually way more then a thief when we let it go to far. Comparison will cause discontentment and it will start gnawing at you until everything and every person you see gets compared to yourself. From beauty, personality, material items, talents ,friends and family. You become so discontent with what you have your broke from spending your money trying to have what the other people have, your disposition pushes away your friends and makes your face/beauty more so disagreeable then what you thought it was before and your personality is no longer a personality since its focus is all about you. Know I've created quite a unpleasant human being in your mind, but it doesn't have to be. I've struggled like every girl and I'm sure boy as well, with contentment and comparison. I often think girls compare more cause we are told more then guys are on how to be the perfect flawless human being. From the way look, dress, do , act, for crying out loud even smell.
But that last one isn't really as impactful as I think it should be. I guess to some people that's more the icing on the cake after you have the looks, the smile, the newest gadgets, but I tend to like the icing more then the cake (each to their own.).  Anywho I am totally rambling.

                                Here are 5 tips I've found useful in fighting discontentment and comparison.

 
1. Pray. Obvious to most of you, but seriously start with prayer. Ask God to give you guidance and peace on being content with what you have to stop comparing who you are and what God gave you, because God knew what He was doing when He created you and He has a plan. "It is not what you have, but what you do with what you have."

2. Make a list. Make a list of things you are blessed to have that others don't and give a prayer of thanks for them.

3.Acceptance. This is probably the hardest thing to do, but must be done. You Must Accept You! Flaws, imperfections and all. Accept that someone is always going to be prettier then you,
someone is always going to have more then you and someone is always going to be more talented then you.
But keep in mind that someone somewhere is wishing they were you or at least wishing God would of given them had something that you have. Maybe a talent, the way you smile, your sense of style, the way you care for people without taking the time to even bat and eyelash, something like that. The beauty of some of these is sometimes you don't even realize you have it or at least your full potential with your gift.

4. Find one of your strengths and thrive off of it. Do you have a gift at something or does something come easy to you that some people struggle with?! Use it cultivate it and do/be the best you can be at it.

5. Know what makes you, you and inspire others.
I saw a quote that says, "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." I believe every one can make an impact one way or another and as small as smiling someone to change their day around. God put us here for a purpose. He made us the way He wanted us to look. He gave us what He knew we would need and He is creating us to be who He planned us to be we just have to choose. Which is the beauty and tragedy of being human. Because who are you going to let influence your choice Jesus who loved and created you or the devil seeks to destroy and stir up strife?!

                  I choose contentment. I choose joy. I choose Jesus.
                                       What will you choose?

2 comments :

  1. After some of the disturbing things I've had to read of late, this post is a joy. Very well done, Blythe.

    The girl in the bottom photo looks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading this, Blythe! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there,
Thank you for stopping by, I love reading comments so go ahead and tell me your thoughts. But I ask that you keep them clean of suggestive language, swearing. Just be honest and kind! :)
Feel free to check out some of my other posts and pages.