Thursday, May 7, 2015

packing for a flight

         Packing can be plain hard.
Your trying to pack your life into a suitcase which will only hold so much.
                       Its made even harder when your going to be living somewhere longer then 2 months.
                  I've really started to learn what a challenge it is to pack when you will be flying somewhere and you have a lot to bring along.
                          I honestly try to only pack necessities and then I usually fly South West, which means if they are under 50lbs you have two free check bags and 2 free carry ons. 
When I went to Colorado for Ellerslie I didn't fully realize the whole checked bag thing and packed a 61.lb suitcase and paid the $75 both ways. Ugh!! *facepalm* I can't believe I did that, (thought it was only one free bag),but this trip to Colorado I knew what to do a little better then the last time.
I made a list for my
1st carry on
2nd carry on
1st checked bag
2nd checked bag.
I am a big planner, so I started this list as soon as there was a 90% chance I would go.
Which was 4 weeks before. AGH!! It was a very quick spur of the moment decision.

  //I categorized my list//
1st carry on
 Journal, planner (I wanted to plan out my work day to day) all of those in with my camera and laptop/electronic bag.
  2nd carry on
Bible,mug and teas,shoes and then all the heavier items.
1st checked bag
tops, bottoms,accessories
(accessories might be added later to the 2nd checked bag)
2nd checked bag
medication, toiletries, towels, and I decided just incase I threw my swimsuit in there what ever didn't fit in the first/weigh out the correct way.



Lists -  This is essential for me. I sometimes just give it a quick glance a before and after packing. I write it out so my mind isn't constantly thinking over the mental list I made, to make sure I don't forget anything,but usually as I begin to pack its all in my brain somewhere and comes to me as I pack.
Therefore lists are my must,so I don't stress,worried I will forget something.
Sticky notes(the paper ones) and word doc. are my favorite places to create a list!
(sticky notes are my categorized lists and to do lists that appear everywhere!)

I found this helpful little check list also from THIS blog if you need a little jump start!
(be sure to check it out for more helpful packing hints)




Fitting it all in- This is a challenge within itself because you have to fit it all in AND make sure its under 50lbs.
ROLL!!! Roll your clothes in tight rolls to ensure it will all fit.
Also make sure you leave room and a few extra lbs for souvenirs just in case.
Better to be safe then sorry by having to leave something or pay extra fees.


What is essential?- This is always changing by how long you will be somewhere,time,place etc....
The 2 basic questions I ask are;
How often will I use it?
 Daily? Weekly? Monthly?
Is it a must?
(example: Soap...that would be a must.)
I generally pack the musts and slowly add everything else in order of preference and need.

Separate your things into groups;

Musts
 (soap, deodorant,clothes etc...)  

Preferably
(journal,accessories, etc)
 
Comforts
(extra accessories, mug,tea and snacks,etc.. misc stuff usually)


Outfits-I am not a to fashionable person,but I am picky,so this is usually interesting venture.
When packing for long term or even short term try having 1 top that matches 3 skirts/pants helps to mix things up or you could switch that around. (3 shirts to 1 bottom)
2 nice tops and 1-2 nice bottoms to mix up for nice occasions (church,party etc....)
Accessories- I try to have 1-2 necklaces and then 1 nice scarf that goes with a lot of my clothes.
I only own 3 belts, so I generally just bring all.
I have a big black one, a knit, stretchy, off white one with brown double strap,then a simple braided brown belt. They all go with most of my outfits.
Depending on the season I will bring two of my slouchy/knit hats!


Comforts of home- I can be kind of a practical person,so this is very limited and never an issue most of the time for me. Generally headphones and music in my carry on, maybe a book and I am set.
For long term the first time I was away,I brought my violin, music and that was pretty much it.
This time I won't be bring my violin or any other instrument.
Possibly a mug and some tea,but that's about it.
 No pictures,extra living items (pillows,blankets,decor)
 I like to try to keep it simple and basic when I am flying.
It lessens the load and lessens that chance of you forgetting items.
 (unless you have a list in your purse of everything packed)

____________________________________________________________________

 I covered my basics of packing for long term and short term when I fly.
Any extra questions or add ins are more then welcome by commenting below.

What are some helpful hacks you've learned by flying?

Do you have an upcoming adventures taken by plane this summer?


1 comment :

  1. Yes, I do have a plan ride to somewhere over the summer, and I'm not too excited on it. I've done pre-auditions for some shows over the summer but I had to turn down the roles that I got because of some plans. Surprisingly, my travel bag is lighter than my school bag! Besides my phone and my iPad, I just bring two books, and next rest, my toiletries, and a jacket. That's all!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete

Hello there,
Thank you for stopping by, I love reading comments so go ahead and tell me your thoughts. But I ask that you keep them clean of suggestive language, swearing. Just be honest and kind! :)
Feel free to check out some of my other posts and pages.